In the past few terms of President Donald Trump, the US death toll stood at 400,000, almost exactly a year after the country registered its first confirmed case of COVID-19.
In the meantime, the nation is preparing for Joe Biden to step into the presidency and consider what to do first – many agree that containing the spread of the coronavirus is high on the list. Washingtoners have that in mind on inauguration day.
We update this page with the latest news about the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on the Seattle area, the US and the world. Click here to see the live updates from the past few days and all other coronavirus reports. Here’s how we are tracking the daily spread in Washington and the world.
Find out about the last 24 hours
• • Where and when can you get your vaccine? This has not been easy for everyone to determine thanks to technical issues with the state’s new online tool for people to find their place in line … and then with the entire Department of Health website. Plus, hospitals worry about having to cancel appointments and risk public outrage. Here’s what you need to know about the mass vaccination effort.
• • How many doses have been given so far? Washington state offers a new, updated look at it.
• • A dentist may give you your coronavirus vaccine. Washington’s dentists and hygienists are participating in the vaccination effort, and opticians are also keen to participate.
• • When Joe Biden took the helm today The rising death toll in the nation exceeds the entire population of New Orleans.
• • A 50 cent odor test could eventually check people for COVID-19.
– Kris Higginson
Seattle Times staff and news services