People in the central district of Seattle were evacuated from buildings near a natural gas leak on Martin Luther King Jr. Way and East Cherry Street around noon Wednesday.
The gas had ignited underground and melted through asphalt, causing flames on a sidewalk, a video from the Seattle Fire Department showed.
2700 Blk. From E. Cherry St .: It is confirmed that this is a natural gas leak, the gas has ignited and melted through asphalt. Evacuated one block in each direction from MLK Jr. Way and E. Cherry St. pic.twitter.com/ua5TlnE7nZ
– Seattle Fire Dept. (@SeattleFire) February 24, 2021
Electricity and natural gas were cut off in the area. The evacuations took place between East Columbia Street and East Jefferson Street and 27th Avenue and 29th Avenue.
According to Seattle City Light, around 2,200 customers were without electricity by around 12:30 p.m.