Seattle Chef Edouardo Jordan Turns Salare Into Community Kitchen

0
111
Seattle Chef Edouardo Jordan Turns Salare Into Community Kitchen

One of Seattle’s most famous chefs is putting some big plans into action this week. On Monday, Edouardo Jordan is shooting his original restaurant, Ravenna’s saltas part of the Restaurant Workers Relief Program in a communal kitchen. The plan is to serve hundreds of free take-away meals to laid-off restaurant workers who have seen significant working hours reductions due to COVID-19 measures, while also providing some other aids such as toiletries.

Jordan plans to run this aid center every day from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. while restaurants and bars are closed for dine-in service (however, the order announced by Governor Jay Inslee last week is in effect until March 31, but that could be extended) . The restaurateur is partnering with celebrity chef Ed Lee and bourbon brand Maker’s Mark as part of the Lee Initiative to fund the operation and has sent a request for donation.

“I was almost done because it was the perfect timing,” says Jordan Eater Seattle of the collaboration. “I’ve been trying to figure out how to help the community and keep my team busy for as long as possible before we run out of funds.”

The chef says the nearby bagel oasis is donating food to efforts charitable Byrd Barr Place donated, Hunni Water of Edmonds participates, and other perishable items in the community have donated. All leftovers will be sent to Northwest Harvest, a famine relief in Washington.

This follows other efforts by Seattle chefs looking to give back as they try to navigate the difficult new terrain. Melissa Miranda of Beacon Hills’ popular Filipino restaurant Musang turned her kitchen into a nonprofit focused on providing food to insecure families. In the Central District, Soulful Dishes has teamed up with pop-up chef Tarik Abdullah to serve meals to those in need.

As Salare launches relief efforts, Jordan’s JuneBaby is preparing to boot up under the new no-eating restrictions. After a week-long spring break, the chef and his staff will reopen the James Beard Award-winning restaurant Southern on Wednesday to take away and serve various three-course menus every day.